CLAT (U.G) SYLLABUS
CLAT (U.G) SYLLABUS FOR EXAMINATION
Exam Duration- 120 Minutes
No. of Questions- 120
Maximum Marks- 120
Marking- 1 Mark for correct, 0.25 Negative for Wrong
SUBJECT WEITAGE OF MARKS
1. English Language- 20%
2. General Knowledge- 25%
3. Legal Reasoning- 25%
4. Logical Reasoning- 20%
5. Quantitative Techniques (Maths)- 10%
(I) English Language
- Contemporary or historically significant fiction and non fiction writings.
- 450 words passage
- 12th standard student read passage within 5-7 minutes.
- Read and comprehend main points/aspects in passage; inferences and conclusions derived; summary of passage; Synonyms, Meanings; Correcting Grammar, Sentences, Spot error; Active and Passive voice; Tenses, etc.
(II) General Knowledge
- News, Journalistic sources and other nonfiction writings (Example – reading from Economic times, Hindustan times, The
- General Knowledge including current and static.
- Comprehension based passage – 450 words.
- Contemporary topics of significance to India and World; Arts and Culture; International Affairs; Historical Events of Continuing Significance .
(III) Legal Reasoning
- Comprehension – type passage of 450 words each followed by objective type questions.
- Fact situation or scenes involving legal matters, public policy, Moral or philosophical inquiries.
- Rule and principle application to different fact situation.
Key Topics :-
(1) Indian Constitution (with special focus on Fundamental Rights Chapter)
(2) Important Amendments in legal sphere including important legal issues which are subjected to debates and discussion on regular times.
(3) Important and Landmark Supreme Court Judgement which brought or impacted social change.
(4) Important Provisions always in news. Example President’s Rule; S.144 Cr Pc, etc.
(5) Legal Current Affairs.
(6) Other important law subjects includes Law of Torts; Law of contracts; IPR, Family Law; IPC; Legal Arms and Maxims.
(IV) Logical Reasoning
- 300 word long objective questions
- Draw relationships and analogies; series; seating arrangements; syllogism; Blood relations; logical sequencing and matching calendars and clocks.
- 12th standard ability tested.
(V) Quantitative Techniques
- Sets of facts or propositions graphs, or other textual pictorial, or diagrammatic representations of numerical information, followed by series of Questions.
- Rations & Proportions; Basic Algebra; Mensuration; Statistical Estimation; Algebra on class 10th standard.
22 COLLEGES UNDER CLAT Seats
National Law School of India University, Bengaluru 180
NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad 132
The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata 132
National Law University, Jodhpur 120
National Law Institute University, Bhopal 120
Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar 205
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala 180
Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University, Lucknow 187
National Law University, Odisha 180
Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai 150
National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi 140
National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi 60
Chanakya National Law University, Patna 145
Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur 120
Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam 120
National Law School and Judicial Academy, Assam 60
Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli 120
Himachal Pradesh National Law University, Shimla 60
Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur 120
Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad 60
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Law University, Sonepat 120
~60 other private colleges also accepting CLAT Score +3000
1. National Law University, Delhi 123
2. Symbiosis Law School : ~Pune, Hyderabad, Noida & Nagpur 1080
3. GGS IP University 2940
4. Christ University, Bengaluru 300
5. Government Law College, Mumbai 240
6. Indian Law School, Pune 240
7. Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi 120
8. IIM Rohtak (Five Year Integrated Programme in Law) NA
9. UPES Dehradun 480
10. New Law College (BVP) Pune 360
11. Kirit P. Mehta School of Law (NMIMS), Mumbai 1080